The Leander ISD Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is seeking applications to join the DEI Advisory Committee for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year and to continue into the 2023-24 school year. We are seeking additional members to join the Committee for two-year terms. The DEI Advisory Committee works with the Chief of DEI in a collaborative fashion to provide feedback and to ensure alignment with the LISD Strategic Plan goal related to Equitable Access. This group will meet with the Chief of DEI or their designee during which the Office of DEI will provide updates, solicit feedback and listen to input regarding current and future activities.
The DEI Advisory Committee will meet six times during each school year with meetings lasting seventy-five minutes (for the 22-23 school year the full Committee will meet four times instead of six). The meeting structure will be both in person and via Zoom. Members of the DEI Advisory Committee must attend three of the four meetings for the 22-23 school year and five of six meetings in the 23-24 school year to remain on the committee.
Tentative meeting dates for the 22-23 school year are listed below. We plan to meet from 5:30 pm to 6:45 pm on these dates:
- January 25, 2023
- February 22, 2023
- March 22, 2023
- April 26, 2023
If you are interested in serving in this capacity, please see the selection guidelines below:
- Currently have a student (s) enrolled in Leander ISD or is currently an LISD staff member
- A willingness to focus on improving educational access and opportunity for ALL students
- By serving on this committee, it will not constitute a conflict of interest in the following areas:
- Intending to or currently under contract with Leander ISD for the delivery of training related to issues of DEI
- Employed as a vendor of DEI training and resources
Each committee member will serve a two-year term starting with the 22-23 school year. At the end of the two-year period the committee member will be replaced by a new committee member. The process for recruiting and selecting new committee members will be publicized using all existing LISD communication channels. This year the application window will open on November 15 with the deadline to apply being November 28. Please see applications steps below:
- Individuals seeking to serve on the DEI Advisory Committee should fill out the Google form application prior to the deadline for submission, which includes the following questions:
- Why would you like to be a member of the DEI Advisory Committee?
- What is the contribution that you would like to make to DEI work in LISD?
- Please discuss how you would advance the DEI dialogue in our community as a member of the DEI Advisory Committee.
- The Chief of DEI will ensure that all criteria and guidelines for serving on the committee are met by the individual seeking to serve.
- Once it has been determined that the person seeking to serve on the committee meets all criteria, the Chief of DEI will present the candidate (s) to the existing committee members for a blind review followed by a vote on their candidacy. In order to join the Committee, the candidate (s) must obtain a majority of the votes cast.
- Once the voting process has been completed, the Chief of DEI will officially notify the new committee member (s).
- The total number of DEI Advisory members will not exceed twenty-five individuals.
When new members join or current members rotate off the committee, priority will be given to balancing the group so that every part of the district is represented. This focus on achieving balance will also extend to the number of parents/guardians, campus staff, and district staff serving on the committee. It will be the responsibility of the Chief of DEI and the existing DEI Advisory members to ensure that the proper balance is achieved and maintained.
Maintaining balance will be defined as ensuring that each feeder pattern and all campus levels will be represented on the committee. This will create space for all LISD voices to be heard and valued.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Chief of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion DeWayne Street.