This is an ongoing issue and response by Leander ISD. As we continue to get new information and make new decisions, the content of this article may be outdated. Please visit our COVID-19 webpage for the most up-to-date news and announcements.
Governor Closes Schools for 2019–20 School Year in Statewide Coronavirus Response
All school classrooms will remain closed for students through the end of the 2019–20 school year, Gov. Greg Abbott announced earlier today. In his press conference on the state’s response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic, the Governor directed school districts to Texas Education Agency (TEA) Commissioner Mike Morath for guidance on graduation and other operational decisions tied to the extended closure.
While we wish we could be in our classrooms, leading learning and celebrating the end of our year in person with our school families, we understand our community’s health and safety take precedence. We will continue to support students and families as we move forward in responding to the COVID-19 health crisis.
We will meet with our Board of Trustees next week and provide another update to families and staff on Friday, April 24. Please visit our COVID-19 support webpage for frequently asked questions.
Superintendent to Connect with Students, Staff via Zoom Forums Next Week
Superintendent Bruce Gearing, Ed.D., is hosting four live Zoom chats with students and staff April 20–24.
Register for the Zoom Webinar that fits you. Parents are welcome to watch but we’re looking for student questions and answers in the student discussions.
All webinars are 3–4 p.m. The dates and registration links are:
- high school students on April 20,
- middle school students on April 21,
- elementary school students on April 22, and
- teachers and staff on April 23.
During the webinars, we will respond to and ask questions of our attendees as we try to facilitate large group discussions.
Board discusses impacts of grading policy, graduation options, construction projects
The Leander ISD Board of Trustees discussed a number of topics at its April 16 meeting, including:
- The district’s continued response to COVID-19, the impact on the district’s temporary grading policy approved on March 31, graduation celebrations, and determining when schools will open.
- An overview of Phase 2 of the Remote Learning plan, the district’s resources and strategies tied to learning while our school buildings are closed.
- Funding decisions concerning construction projects, including bond sale scenarios to fund construction projects tied to the 2017 bond program.
Reminder: all district athletics facilities, playgrounds are closed to the public
To do our part in slowing the spread of the coronavirus, all LISD public spaces are closed to promote social distancing. This includes tracks, stadiums, playgrounds and campuses. While we do not police these spaces, we ask that our community avoid these areas and report concerns about non-compliance to Wiliamson and Travis counties.