Leander ISD offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at both Vandegrift and Leander High Schools. The IB Diploma Programme describes its value as more than an education, it is a lifelong opportunity. While students who complete the IB Diploma Programme enjoy the benefit of a well recognized qualification that can help college admissions and career development, all IB programmes aim to move beyond exam results to develop the whole person. Leander ISD schools strive to fulfill the goal described by the IB program to build the skills, empathy and confidence learners need to thrive in the modern world. To bring out the best in every learner, the IB learner profile puts the student at the center of the program, inspiring and motivating both teachers and students to maximize potential.
IB seeks to empower learners to thrive and make a difference and aims to cultivate the IB learner profile attributes.
The IB Diploma Programme aims to cultivate:
- Students with a purpose: nurturing students with the character attributes to contribute to making the world a better place with a global perspective that allows students to be purposeful.
- Students with skills: developing in students transferable and future-ready skills to thrive in a world that is changing quickly. An IB education provides a whole child approach to education while growing social, communication, and self-management skills.
- Students with dispositions ready to step up as leaders, solve society’s most pressing challenges and build a better, more sustainable world for all.
The IB Diploma programme aims to provide:
- A curriculum that encourages students to connect learning experiences to their real-world experiences, and take steps to make a difference in their community.
- A well recognized qualification that will help students possibly gain admission to the university or career of their choice. University admissions value the advanced research and critical thinking skills that are developed through the IB programme and due to this, Diploma candidates tend to get into their college of choice at a higher rate than non-diploma candidates and tend to stay in college at a higher rate as well (Plichen et al, 2000).
- Teachers who become part of a global professional learning community, with rich and diverse opportunities to professionally grow and network.
Note that the IB DP is open enrollment to students from any of the Leander ISD high schools and it is currently offered at Leander High School (LHS) and Vandegrift High School (VHS). Prospective IB students from Henry, Leander, Running Brushy, Stiles, Wiley or Danielson Middle Schools will attend LHS. Students from Four Points or Canyon Ridge Middle Schools will attend VHS. Students from Cedar Park Middle School will choose VHS or LHS based on transportation considerations for each family. For further information on the IB Programme, please contact the LHS or VHS International Baccalaureate Programme Coordinator.
If zoned for Cedar Park MS, Henry MS, Leander MS, Running Brushy MS, Stiles MS, Wiley MS, or Danielson MS, contact:
Shawn Doctor, LHS IB Diploma Program Coordinator
If zoned for Canyon Ridge MS, Cedar Park MS, or Four Points MS, contact:
Sherilyn Green, VHS IB Diploma Program Coordinator
*Students at Cedar Park Middle School may choose the campus closest to home address
Information Meetings for the IB program will be held this spring prior to course registration.
IB Coordinators will visit middle school campuses and parents and students are invited to attend school information sessions on these nights to learn more about the campus zoned for the IB Diploma Programme:
- VHS Information Meeting: Viper Night, January 12, 2023 from 6 – 8 p.m.
- LHS Information Meeting: Start to Finish, January 18, 2023 from 5:30 – 7 p.m