It’s been a long journey from March until now, and we thank you for your patience with us as we navigate these challenging times. The district has worked hard to gain your trust, be transparent, and give families the most current information possible, but we know it can be overwhelming.
As the school year begins, LISD newsletters will be less frequent because families will be communicating more with your student’s teacher(s) and campus. We want to step back and let our heroic educators do what they do best: help our precious children learn, no matter the circumstances.
We are excited to welcome back (virtually) on Thursday! In this newsletter, you’ll find information about:
- Facial coverings
- Student Selection process for campuses
- LISD moving to Remind platform to better serve families
- Child Nutrition Services information on safety, family assistance
- Back to School Checklist
- Virtual Open House dates
- Serving on our districtwide committees
Clarification on Facial Coverings policy
Facial coverings provide a barrier to viruses to protect themselves and others. All students and staff will wear facial coverings during arrival, dismissal, transitions, and within classrooms. Facial coverings must be worn over the mouth and nose, and the face-covering must be made out of material that adequately blocks the transmission of air and droplets (no valve/vented masks). Students requesting a medical exemption will need to work with their school’s nurse. Staff members will need to work through human resources (HR).
Student Selection Process for Campuses
The first three weeks of the 2020–21 school year (Aug. 13–Sept. 7) will be entirely online, with all students in Virtual Empowered Learning. If we are able to continue with our plan to open Sept. 8 for in-person learning, families were able to choose between in-person and virtual. That process closed on Aug. 6 at 11:59 p.m.
Schools are working to connect with individual students who have not submitted a choice. Each school will have a process for updating selections at the grading period changes. Please look for communication from your student’s school.
LISD moving to Remind platform to better serve families
Beginning this week, ahead of the start of the 2020–21 school year, Remind will replace SchoolMessenger as the bulk notification platform used by Leander ISD to connect with families and students through text, email and phone broadcasts.
By switching to Remind, all LISD communications will consolidate into a single platform, with Remind being a convenient tool to view messages from the district and your student’s principal and teachers.
Remind provides the district a text message focused delivery platform, which we’ve seen to be the most effective way of communicating directly with the most families. Each user can set their notification preferences, including selecting email instead of, or in addition to, a text message.
Remind’s robust mobile app and web-based platform create a one-stop shop for parents to keep track of messages relating to their students. While the mobile app and web platform are the best ways to utilize Remind, we do not require you to download the app. You will still get text messages or emails without signing into Remind.
For information on how to get started, please check out the LISD’s Remind support page.
Child Nutrition Services makes eating right easy
Tired of preparing meals at home? Looking for creative and healthy options? Child Nutrition Services (CNS) is here for you!
- Convenient Pick up Locations – Any e-learner curbside middle school location, Monday–Friday from 10:30–11:30 a.m., excluding school holidays.
- Multiple Meal Pick-Up – Pick up breakfast and lunch for one day OR multiple days! If you pick up on Monday, you may take home 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches. Great convenience!
- Guaranteed Freshness – We offer fresh fruits and vegetables daily with every meal. Meals are packaged and held cold with simple heating instructions. This provides the greatest amount of flexibility.
- Free & Reduced Meals – LISD provides free and reduced-price meals for children approved for the National School Lunch Program. To apply for this program, submit an application online at https://www.mymealtime.com/Apps/SignIn or download a printable form online at our website, http://bit.ly/CNSLISD.
- Great Prices – Elementary Breakfast: $1.50 Secondary Breakfast: $1.75 Elementary Lunch: $2.90 Secondary Lunch: $3.15 *A La Carte options are available. Prices will vary.
- Online Ordering – Accessible via leanderisd.nutrislice.com OR download for free on iPhone or Android.
- Returning to in-person learning – When in-person learning returns in the future, CNS has got your back. We have thoroughly vetted numerous feeding models for all grade groups & various food packaging options to ensure the continued safety of our students and Leander family.
Got questions? Call us at (512) 570-0670 or visit the CNS website.
With the first three weeks of the school year completely online, we know back-to-school looks different this year. In an effort to assist our families with planning for the start of this school year, we created the 2020–21 Leander ISD Back-to-School Checklist.
Virtual Open House Dates
We’re excited to connect with our students and families at virtual open houses over the next several weeks. Please join us!
- Elementary Meet the Teacher – 5 and 5:45 p.m., Tuesday, August 11
- 6th Grade – 6:45 p.m., Tuesday, August 11
- 7th and 8th Grade – 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 18 @ 6:30 p.m. *Please note change from original date of Aug. 20
- High School – Monday, August 24 – start time determined by campus
Each campus will be sharing details about these events with our families through email and/or on their campus websites. We look forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones!
Share your voice: LISD’s district committee applications open
District committee applications are open from Aug. 3 through Aug. 17. To learn more and apply for a place on the Districtwide Educational Improvement Council (DWEIC), Community Curriculum Advisory Committee (CCAC) and/or the School Health Advisory Committee (SHAC), please visit the Committees page.