Winkley is hosting a community-wide Juneteenth webinar Friday — an event that is happening in light of the recent killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmahd Arbery, yet has been several months in the making.Read More
Category: Equity & Diversity
Equity & Diversity
In Leander ISD, we want to listen and learn from our community about how we can support various communities. To help create meaningful and impactful dialogue, the district will begin its Community Conversations on Equity and Diversity with two community forums. These meetings will be led by two college professors – Dr. Cherie Dawson-Edwards and Dr. Bradley Carpenter – who have extensive experience in fostering equity in public schools.
The meetings will feature shared learning by attendees and an opportunity to share their story. They will also encourage collaboration on next steps to make changes and improvements.
This is only the start of Community Conversations on Equity and Diversity in Leander ISD. While the district has been engaging in learning about the implementation of equitable practices, it has been largely limited to staff. It is with time we bring in our student, parent and community voices.
About the Facilitators
- Dr. Cherie Dawson-Edwards is chair and an associate professor in the Department of Criminal Justice at the University of Louisville. She also serves on the statewide Subcommittee for Equity and Justice for All Youth.
- Dr. Bradley Carpenter is currently an associate professor of educational leadership at Baylor University. His focus is on the development of equity-minded school leaders.
As part of the Community Conversations on Equity and Diversity, the district will collect anonymous stories about equity, diversity, inclusion, and/or identity as they pertain to student and/or caregiver experiences in LISD to help shape the district's long-term approach to the topic of Equity and Diversity.
For issues that need more immediate assistance, please consider using the district's existing channels, including Let's Talk, Anonymous Alerts and the Fraud Hotline (an anonymous reporting tool for staff), along with the designated district staff members below who handle discrimination issues:
- Bryan Miller – Title IX Coordinator (Students)
Email | 512-570-0150
- Angela Patrick – Section 504/ADA Coordinator (Students)
Email | 512-570-0311
- Karie Lynn McSpadden – Title IX and Section 504/ADA Coordinator (Employees)
Email | 512-570-0100
Campus administrators and counselors can also serve as a first point of contact when dealing with issues of discrimination.
Jun 3, 2020
In Leander ISD, we unequivocally condemn racism, discrimination, and exclusion of all kinds. Our hearts are broken. The killing of George Floyd and others has profoundly impacted our nation and reminded us we live in a world where racism undeniably exists. We acknowledge that racism exists in Leander ISD. Our students matter, each and every one of them. We know it is time for action. As we cope with uncertainty, we must partner with our community to create equitable and inclusive environments for our entire population. We create a better future for our students when we stand against racism and value the diverse culture of our community. Hope is not enough. As Leander ISD, we demand equity.Read More
Mar 10, 2020
More than 100 Leander ISD students, staff and community members packed the Wiley Middle School cafeteria Monday night to recount experiences and explore ways to give a voice to those that feel marginalized on LISD campuses.Read More
Mar 4, 2020
Members of the Leander ISD community came together Tuesday to have a vulnerable conversation about equity and diversity.Read More
Feb 21, 2020
We want to listen and learn from our community about how we can support various communities within Leander ISD. To help create meaningful and impactful dialogue, the district will begin its Community Conversations on Equity and Diversity with two community forums. These meetings will be from 6-8 p.m. March 3 in the Henry Middle School cafeteria and March 9 in the Wiley Middle School cafeteria.Read More
- Super School Visits: Wiley Middle School
- Beating Big Kids: Four Points Falcons Soar during state Improv competition
- Super School Visit: River Ridge Elementary
- Super School Visits: Grandview Hills ES
- Super School Visits: Stiles MS
- Super School Visits: Whitestone ES
- Teachers clean out empty classrooms as LISD school year comes to a close