This week Leander ISD celebrates Transportation Appreciation Week, along with National School Bus Safety Week, from Oct. 17-21.
Assistant Director of Transportation Ken Turner said that he wants to thank all of the transportation staff, drivers and monitors for all they do for the care and safety of students and for the success of the transportation department.
“It is such a joy to work with such an amazing group of people who always show up to work every day bringing their A game,” Turner said. “Leander ISD is so abundantly blessed to have drivers and monitors who love what they do and are the best in the business.”
Turner said that the transportation department is made up of individuals who are not only great coworkers and staff, but also make up a large and caring family.
“We truly believe that the first class of the day begins with transportation and that we are unequivocally an irreplaceable component in the educational process,” Turner said.
By the Numbers
- Every day transportation transports students to 47 campuses, spread over 200 square miles
- Transportation transports over 12,000 of the 42,864 students in Leander ISD
- Transportation drives over 6,000 field trips per school year
- Transportation drives 165 bus routes this school year
- Transportation drives 1.5 million miles annually
The transportation department is made up of about 250 employees.
- Cheryl Fredlund: 38 years with LISD
- Suzanne Adams: 22 years with LISD
- Elaine Sager: 19 years with LISD
- Maureen Flanagan: 19 years with LISD
- Sibiljean Johnson: 18 years with LISD
This week, find a way to thank your bus drivers, crossing guards and bus monitors for their dedication to keeping LISD students safe every school day.