The Board of Trustees adopted the academic calendar for next school year, named the district’s 28th elementary school and considered the annual facility improvement plan at its Jan. 24 meeting.
To review the entire agenda, please click here.
Academic calendars for upcoming school years get green light
The Board voted to adopt the recommended academic calendar for 2019–20. The Board also announced the 2020–21 calendar, with formal approval slated for November 2019, pending changes from the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
The calendar for next year includes the following features:
- Aug. 15 start date with a short first week;
- the last day of school on May 29;
- more balanced semesters;
- professional learning during the school year; and
- a Spring Break that aligns with the University of Texas at Austin.
The adoption of the calendars follows an extensive effort to collect community feedback, resulting in nearly 5,000 survey responses.
Board names Elementary School 28
After naming Larkspur Elementary and Danielson Middle School at the Dec. 14 meeting, the Board named Elementary School 28 for longtime district administrator Nancy Tarvin.
Tarvin was the executive director of elementary curriculum for the district. She retired in 2016 after a quarter century of service to the district and community. She is credited with helping develop the Leander Way, redesigning elementary schools and influencing the district’s culture of excellence.
Construction on Tarvin Elementary is slated to begin later this year at a location in the northern part of the district. The school is scheduled to open in 2020 or 2021.
Board discusses major maintenance projects for 2019
LISD sets aside funding each year for regular maintenance, in addition to its bond programs. The Board discusses the proposed 2019 District Wide Renewal Projects, which includes the planned schedule for replacement or repair of building components, equipment, and site features to accomplish proper maintenance and avoid untimely failure.
Some of the features of this year’s projects include:
- Resurface the track at Cedar Park HS, Four Points MS and Henry MS
- Replace water heaters at Bagdad ES, Cedar Park HS, Cypress ES and Reagan ES
- Replace deteriorated vinyl composition tile (VCT) in LEO Phase II and MPR carpet
- Clean and seal the exterior walls at RBMS and Science Materials Center
- Replace carpet at Naumann ES
Upon approval of the 2019 District Wide Renewal Projects, certain projects will begin immediately so that as much activity as feasible can be completed before the summer.