Launch to Learning 2020–21 updates are ongoing and subject to change as we continue to navigate opening the 2020–21 school year in Leander ISD. Please visit this article for the latest FAQs and information
The plan to launch learning in 2020 got a little clearer last night during the July 16 Board of Trustees meeting. Here’s what you need to know today:
- The school year will open all virtual Aug. 13 – Sept. 7
- Additional recommendation for the school year
- Registration verification launches today
- Updates to our FAQ
- Message about the 2020 marching band season
- Board Briefs for July 16
- LISD to host 2 webinars for families next week
The big announcement from update 7 pertains to the start of school and the Districtwide alignment to the Austin-Travis County Health Department order to suspend in-person instruction until after Sept. 7. As a result, we will open with 100% of students in Virtual Empowered Learning on Aug. 13.
The district presented plans for how Virtual Empowered Learning (VEL) will look different to the emergency remote learning from spring 2020, during which time schools developed plans and strategies with less than 2 days for students to learn remotely. VEL will include normal grading practices, schedules for students to include live (synchronous) and independent (asynchronous) learning, and standard teacher platforms for communicating assignments and materials.
When students can return to in-person learning, the district presented an overview of its health and hygiene protocols that will include:
- contact tracing procedures;
- masks or face coverings for all students grades 3-12 and all staff;
- cleaning procedures for all staff;
- availability of masks and hand sanitizer for all students and staff;
- portable plexiglass and face shields;
- air quality enhancements; and
- strategies to maintain social distancing as much as possible.
With the additional time before a return to in-person school, Leander ISD will continue to plan to lower in-person class size ratios, train staff on hygiene procedures, and set school day schedules to manage student interactions.
We also updated our frequently asked questions (FAQ) to include more responses.
We will host 2 webinars on July 22 to provide more detail on Virtual Empowered Learning and health guidelines for in-person learning.
Parents will start receiving registration verification emails today to confirm contact information. Student selection forms will go out when we get closer to the opening of school buildings.